Trusts and Estate
Experienced Virginia trusts and estate attorney
With more than 45 years of experience as an attorney, I possess in-depth knowledge about all aspects of trusts and estate issues, including:
- Estate planning
- Estate tax issues
- Executorship duties
- Living wills
- Living trusts
- Probate and will disputes
- Wills drafting and execution
John W. Wescoat can advise you on the best approach to your estate planning. I thoroughly analyze your estate and strategize the best means of transferring your assets, minimizing taxes, establishing guardianship for your children, supporting personal philanthropic causes and protecting your loved ones. I can draft a will that reflects your desires and establish living trusts if they would be beneficial to your estate.
I apply my extensive knowledge about Virginia probate court to guide you through the complex process of probating a will. I assist executors in all steps of the process, including:
- Creating a plan of action to probate the estate fairly and expeditiously
- Filing the will with the probate court in Virginia
- Closing and opening bank accounts
- Transferring assets from the deceased to the estate
- Valuating the estate
- Managing and liquidating assets as appropriate
- Paying taxes and other debts
- Locating beneficiaries
- Hiring professionals and experts when necessary
When disputes occur between beneficiaries, I help to successfully represent your interests. I have the extensive knowledge to challenge invalid wills or to defend valid wills against the improper assertions of dissatisfied beneficiaries. I can also negotiate between beneficiaries to preserve relationships or fastidiously pursue your rights in court when necessary.
Contact my office today
I serve clients in Eastville, Virginia and throughout Northampton County. Call my office at 757-695-3048 or contact me online today to schedule a free consultation.